The choice of our blog's name is based on the well-known phrase "London Calling" and Queen Elizabeth II.
"This is London Calling" was the opening sentence of the BBC news used during the World War II and also, the name of the magazine that contained a list of the programs if the BBC World Shortwave Radio Broadcasting Service.
Queen Elizabeth, has been for 60 years ruling Great Britain and represents the nation as a whole.
This blog will focus on the language used in the media (newspapers and magazines, TV programs...) as well as the language used in British films, dialects and by the most influential figures in Britain today.

The Script

Episode 1

Hello again, welcome to our weekly internet show. As you already know, Queen Elizabeth Calling tries to bring you the possibility of knowing in depth how life in the UK is.

Today, attending our invitation, is Maria. She is 22 and is an Erasmus student from Cambridge, in the UK.

- Hello Maria, thank you for appearing on the show. Our first question is; ¿What do you miss the most about the UK?

María: I think I miss variety in some ways, I miss that I think its a little more....multiculturalism. And food variety, and I...yah, I think I like...I'm looking forward to having that back.

- And what do you like the most of Spain?

María: I very much enjoy the weather obviously, and the lifestyle. I think it’s a lot more kind of casual and easygoing, and I really like the architecture actually, specially in Seville in Andalusia. The kind of arabic almost very old, medieval and mixture of catholic architecture. I think it is really interesting.

- Thank you, tell us now; Whats your favourite british tv show?

María: As far as television goes, i very much enjoy things like Doctor Who. I think England has quite a particular sense of humour that often people dont understand outside of it. A kind of ironic self depricating... a sort of way of laughing at things, kind of dark but i think very funny and I enjoy that a lot.

 -Can you tell us What's the last film you saw?

María: The last film that i went to see to the cinema was "les miserables", which is a musical based on a book by Victor Hugo and set in France just xxxx for the failures of the french revolution. And they have turned the musical into a film after i think it has been on the stage about 25 years . So it follows the lives of a man called Jean val jean who was put into prison in slavery for 19 years after stealing a loaf of bread to save his sisters dying child, dying one girl with it and it starts when he gets set free from prison. And starts a sort of... he breaks his probation so that he can start a new life from a sort of clear name and it follows him around France as kind of... he tries the best of himself by helping others and following what he feels is the way of God.

-What do you think English people like the most about our culture?

María: I think that English people like the culture that there is in Seville in the sense that... due to... I mean I think multiculturalism is a great thing but I think that it means that we live in a lot of sorts of traditions, and our families to different sorts of things to each other and I mean, everyone sort of lives a similar kind of life as much as nice and i think there's a certain amount the family values that are more prominent here which is loving to see, I think .You have people who have been living after their grandchildren a lot and cousins who like to see each other all the time. Families who stay living near close to each other. I think that's sort of definitely not good as much, but I intend that's nice.

- And finally, What do you think Spanish people would like the most if they had the chance of living in the UK?

María: Interestingly I think it's the exact oppossite. I think that when you live in a place where everyone knows you and, sort of, you 're held to a very thick set of values, it's nice to go somewhere where nobody knows who you are, and nobody really expects anything of you, and I think a place where there is such a variety of personalities and lifestyles is refreshing, sometimes, for spanish people. I think the ability to sort of start new and explore different ways of living.

Thank you very much María for sharing a little bit of your time with us, and thank you all for listening to us. See you in our next episode.

0 comments:

Post a Comment